Monday, January 12, 2009

A flurry of bar building activity

I made a good deal of progress on my bar yesterday and today. Since I am doing all of my cutting in my shed or garage and the temperatures are expected to plummet to -15°F, I felt compelled to do as much cutting as I could. I like my testicles and prefer not to freeze them off.

On Sunday, I installed 1/2 inch plywood on the front of the bar. Tonight I installed the bar top (5/8 inch plywood) and cut (but didn't install) 1/4 inch oak veneer. I need to figure out the best way to attach the oak veneer. Obviously, screwing it or nailing it in place would defeat the purpose of the veneer. I will probably glue it, but I need to figure out what type of glue to use.

Here are a few pictures.

After I attach the veneer, I will install trim, stain it, lacquer of the surface real good, and install the kegerator. I'm getting close.

6 comments:

MJenks said...

There's a commercial where one guy is putting up wainscoting, and he's hammering it in, and the guy next door comes over and glues the first guy's hammer to the ceiling.

Use that stuff. I can't think of the name right now, but I've used it before and it gets the Matt Jenks thumbs up seal of approval.

Also, my word verification is 'Norse', which, given the part of the world you're in and the current climate there, I found puntastically amusing.

Lisa-tastrophies said...

I prefer Elmers. It's safe and apparently they now make it in fruit flavors for those nut-job kids who like to eat glue

So when can we expect the official opening of the Chemgeek Bar ?

Chemgeek said...

As soon as possible. Now that the semester has started, progress will be slow, but hopefully steady. My goal is to be drawing beer from the bar by the end of January.

Unknown said...

This has absolutely nothing to do with your bar-building post (I sometimes find myself unable to hang pictures on the wall, so I"m in no position to compliment your craftmanship convincingly), but I just have to say that your crack-whore comment on Dr. Zibbs advertising post made me laugh so hard that my sprite went up my nose.

Chemgeek said...

Ha!!! I'm glad you laughed, but at what cost... at what cost...

Lisa-tastrophies said...

OK, but spring break starts March 14th.....
No pressure, but I'm just throwing that out there.