Monday, January 5, 2009

My slooooooow bar project.

When we bought our house several years ago, the entire basement was unfinished. It only took me about 4 years to finally finish it. Money and the arrival of children really slowed things down.

Right now, I'm building a bar in my basement. I planned for the eventual addition of said bar. I put plumbing and electrical in all the right places.

I'm not a professional handi-man, but I would like to think I am entirely capable. My main drawback is that I am very slow and methodical. I will literally spend hours thinking and planning. That's why my bar wasn't finished in July as planned.

The first step was to cut a perfectly good chunk of carpet out of our newly laid carpet and replace it with slate tile.

The second step was to frame in the bar. That's where I am right now.

Here are some pictures:

The bar in it's current state of disarray:
Where the sink will go:
The other side of the bar. I'll be tiling the surface with small slate tile.
Where the kegerator will go:
The kegerator that will go into the bar:
My kids think they can hammer screws into scraps. Silly kids:

5 comments:

Ψ*Ψ said...

Nice tiles! That'll look cool when it's finished. :)

MJenks said...

Like the old mantra of "measure twice, cut once", there's nothing wrong with planning things out to make sure they are exactly as you want them when you begin the project.

That way you avoid things like, oh, say, installing a pedestal sink and then someone saying, "you know, I'd like to put up some wainscoting in here now."

Chemgeek said...

Ha Ha Ha... The beauty of blogs and internet and stuff is that whenever I use my downstairs bathroom (the one with wainscoting) I think of your story about installing wainscoting. It may have actually been just a passing reference, but it stuck in me noggin.

Anonymous said...

Very cool setup. I love beer bar projects, nothing makes me happier than beer flowing out of something nice.

keep posting lots of pictures.

Dr Zibbs said...

Nice. By the way, my local brewery is Victory Beer. If you haven't tried any of their beers, check them out.